Friday, March 20, 2015

Make Your Own: Easy, Fast, for Pennies

Natural Washing Up Liquid

The original of this recipe I found on a blog I read called Frugal Ain't Cheap.  However, since hers called for using either whole lemons or limes and grinding them up in a blender or food processor, neither of which I have, I had to make some changes.  My version is NOT thick and creamy like hers.  But, it is still good at cutting grease and anti-bacterial and I can make it so it works for me.  Also, it is super fast, super inexpensive and environmentally friendly.  That's a can't lose combination for me.

Using either lemon or lime juice combine:
  • 1/2 cup of lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup of white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 cups water
Put into an old washing up liquid bottle.  Use about 1 T per load to wash your dishes by hand.  On a rag it is great for cleaning the top of the stove, counters, etc.

THIS WILL NOT PRODUCE SUDS.  If you must have bubbles add a little liquid soap to the mix.  Me, I'll do without the suds to help save the canal environment.
UPDATE:  It is a woman's right to change her mind, correct?  Well, after using this a few days I have.  I have added some liquid soap to my mix with some extra water.  It does not suds much but enough to :  let me know when the sink has just water or dish water in it and to cut the film that the other mixture was leaving on my glasses.  Much happier now.

No comments:

Post a Comment