Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Throwing It Together, Again

 For many reasons I won't bore you with here, this winter has been a tough one on my waistline.  I can still get my clothes on but let us just say they aren't as comfortable and don't look nearly as nice (can we picture an over-sized muffin top).

So, I decided to fall back on a way of eating that has worked for me in the past and try to eat a higher protein/lower carb and higher fiber diet.  I did fine with it for the first 4 days (I know, a not so impressive show of strength) but then my craving for carbs threatened to derail the whole thing, hence the previous recipe/invention.

But, I am a breadahollic.  There should be a 12 step program and a support group for that.  Just saying.

Yesterday afternoon, rather than eat the bread I had baked for Mike ( I blame the smell of it baking for kicking this off), I decided to try and make my own super low carb bread. 

I have made similar breads in the past but I have always had to include some flour in order for the resulting loaf to be something other than a brick door stop.  This time I wanted to skip the flour all together since all I had left on the boat was white.

Below is a close approximation of what I threw into the bowl.  And no, I did not write it down as I went along.  This recipe is from memory. 

I know, I need to try to remember to write it down as a go along.  But since I have been telling myself that for decades and I have yet to listen to myself I wouldn't hold out much hope if I were you.

Homemade Low Carb Bread  

2 cups wheat bran
1 cup oat bran
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1 egg
1 Tbs low sugar maple syrup
1 Tbs oil
1 tsp salt
2 T yeast
about 1 cup warm water

I mixed the above together and added some additional gluten, maybe a quarter of a cup, to get the consistency I needed.  I then formed it into a loaf shape and put it in a well greased loaf pan. 

I let it rise (this was a slow process) in a warm place until about doubled.  I then put it in a cold oven and turned the oven to 425F to bake until done.

The result was a dense but quite eatable and enjoyable bread .   I slice it as thing as possible to get as many slices as possible and to keep the carb count per slice lower.  It makes great toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment