Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Shopping Time

I have been spending and having fun.  I have done my second grocery shopping going for some meat (chicken legs and a combo mince of pork and beef), cocoa, cornmeal, canned tomatoes, beet root and vodka to make vanilla.  I also bought two quarts of semi skimmed milk that I used today to make ricotta cheese.

I have also started visiting the charity shops looking for dishes, pots and pans, bedding, etc. that we will need for the boat. Today I was at 6 and tomorrow, at a different town (Royal Leamington Spa), I will be visiting 8 more.

Today I found a duvet cover and pillow cases, a glass mixing bowl, 2 oven bowls, a grater, mugs, a tea pot, a tea kettle, two more pillow cases, and 3 ramekins.  I have kept them white so that I can mix and match what I find at different locations. What fun.

I have yet to find any pots and pans since I want ones with metal handles so that they can be used in the oven, too. Maybe tomorrow.

I also need plates, bowls, glasses, etc.  I have a week so wish me luck.

My hope is to buy most of what I need from charity shops but I may have to resort to regular stores eventually.  We'll see.

Oh, I think I forgot to tell you that I made cultured buttermilk (some of which I used in pancakes this morning) and creme fraiche.  Homemade vanilla is now in the works but it will take awhile. I am so proud.

Tonight I made rice with mushrooms, onions and spinach and mushroom toasts with creme fraiche. Homemade applesauce and broccoli rounded out the menu.

Last night was made over eggplant and bean burgers into pasta with "meatballs."
We have also foraged more blackberries to enjoy.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment