Sunday, March 16, 2014

Traveling Back in Time Almost 50 Years

The summer before I went into 7th grade we moved to the house that would be my parents' home for the next 40 years.  Not only did I have a new neighborhood, for the first time I would be riding the bus to school.

Apparently, I did not engender confidence that this was something I could accomplish on my own.  So, arrangements were made that one of the girls next door would walk to the bus stop with me.

Nancy was two years older, pretty, popular and very nice.  I was not pretty or popular.  Walking to the bus stop with me for the next four years could not have been high on Nancy's list of must dos.  But as I said, she was nice.  She never let me know that.  She never even hinted.

Every morning I would arrive next door way too early (another endearing attribute I am sure) and stand and wait in the hallway by the door while Nancy ate breakfast.  One of those breakfasts always smelled WONDERFUL.  So much so that a few years later I asked her mom, herself a very nice person, if I could have the recipe.

Today I used that recipe to make breakfast for Mike.  They still smell wonderful and they tast wonderful, too.  Just ignore how many calories they might have.  I don't think they count since Nancy ate them and was always slim. :-)

P.S. If you want to serve these for breakfast tomorrow you could always tint the batter or the powdered sugar green.  Just saying.  And yes, I know these aren't Irish but I don't believe they are truly French either.

French Pancakes

1 c flour 1tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla  2 beaten eggs  1 cup milk (whole is best)
2 Tablespoons of melted butter   2 Tablespoons of sugar

Mix together the dry ingredients.  Combine the wet ingredients.  Add wet to dry slowly and mix til smooth.  Use about 1/2 cup of batter for each pancake.  Cook on one side, flip and cook on the second side.  A non stick pan makes these a breeze. Serve with powdered sugar.  We also use jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment