Friday, March 28, 2014

The Parable of the Loaves and Fishes

Think back to Sunday School when you were a child.  Remember how Jesus fed the multitude bread and fish and the supply did not run out?

Now, if you changed it to Loaves and Beans you are talking my language.

I have cooked dry beans literally for decades.  When Mike and I were in grad school with our two young daughters we developed quite a few frugal habits that have just stuck with us.  Using dry beans is one of them.  As I have been told by family members, this and other frugal actions might save me a couple dollars a year. :)  Old habits die hard.

Well, back to the beans.  I ALWAYS try to cut down on the amount I put in to soak so that we won't be overrun by beans.

I ALWAYS fail.

Last night was no exception.

I put some pinto beans to soak so that I could make a meatless taco soup for lunch today (it's a Friday in Lent, don't ya know).  

This morning when I checked I swear I had enough beans to make soup for a soup kitchen!  Somebody must sneak in and add more beans when I am not looking.  Really, they must.

So now I have to figure out what to do with all those beans: 
  • taco soup for lunch
  • taco pizza
  • bean burittos
  • bean and cheese tostados
  • bean burgers
It could be a very beany week.


P.S. Mike just said their is supposed to be a pub along today's route that has great fish and chips and he wants to stop there.  I never turn down a meal I don't have to cook or clean up after.  (Let's face it, I never turn down a meal.  Period. )

But I wonder, is he worried about all the beans and his culinary future?  Poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment