Monday, April 27, 2015

Cake Mix Biscotti

I have written here before about Approved Food, an online discounted food provider, and the fact that I often purchase things here to help keep our food spending under control. 

Well awhile ago they had large bags of chocolate cake mix (think restaurant size) for sale.  For 99 pence ($1.50) I could purchase enough mix to make 6 chocolate cakes!

Too good to pass up even though I usually cook from scratch and don't use mixes.  But this would be great for fast desserts when I needed something to fill out a meal of leftovers.

Well, last night was such a night. 

Not having the freezer has meant that any leftovers have to be eaten now.  They can not be frozen to pull out later. 

Dinner last night was to be the leftover meatless cheeseburger soup I had made on Saturday and bread.  I decided something sweet would help round out the very basic meal.

Chocolate almond biscotti was what I decided to make since I had made them once before and Mike specifically mentioned that they would be nice to have again sometime. 

They are easy and turn out better than my scratch ones when I use the cake mix to make them.  I wish I knew why my scratch ones don't quite make it but I haven't figured that out yet.

Anyhow here is all you have to do to have yummy chocoate biscotti:

INGREDIENTS:
1 box cake mix
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1tablespoon vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted
  • 1 Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick cookie sheet). In large bowl, mix cake mix, flour, oil and eggs with spoon until dough forms. Stir in almonds, using hands if necessary.
  • 2 On ungreased cookie sheet, shape dough into 15x4-inch rectangle, using greased hands. Bake 21 to 27 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet on cooling rack 15 minutes.
  • 3 Cut rectangle crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes longer or until edges are deep golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Crunchy cookies great with coffee or tea. Enjoy!
  •  
  •  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment