Friday, September 26, 2014

Shhh. Don't tell, please.

Can you keep a secret?  I wouldn't want it to get out but I have decided that the kitchen space on the boat leaves something to be desired:  SPACE.

Now I understand that a lot of people who are on narrowboats go out to pubs for dinner and use the kitchen for breakfast and lunch only.  And, it can handle that, just.

But I am a horse of a different color. 

I like to make bread, bagels, soft pretzels, cookies, crisps, soups, jam, casseroles, and meals that go a little farther than sandwiches or beans on toast (both of which I like but not everyday).

Our little kitchen has 3 feet of narrow counter space.  I can fill that up in the blink of an eye.

And then the fun begins. 

Recently, I had a small tray of something set to go into the oven and one coming out of the oven.  I had just finished one step of a recipe by heating things on the stove.  I was searching for a place to put one of the trays and decided that on the stove would be a good place. 

You guessed it, the burner I had just finished using was still on.  You would be amazed how quickly parchment paper scorches and then begins to burn.  I was.

So, to solve that problem I reached for the pan to yank it off the burner, forgetting (although I can't imagine why?) that the pan would be hot since it had been sitting on the burner. 

One loud yelp from me, a crash of the pan on the floor, and scattered goodies everywhere.

I am sure such thing are not good for my blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment