Saturday, May 31, 2014

Slam, Bam, Thank You Maam (Duck Style)

The canal is full of baby ducks, geese and swans in all stages of growth from newly born to "teenagers".  They are cute to watch swimming all in a line either down the canal or from side to side.  And believe me, if they realize food is being offered they can definitely put on their go fasters so as not to miss out on the treat!

One would assume, or maybe just I would assume, that mating season was over.  However, that is obviously not the case.

As I was puttering around the boat yesterday being all domestic I looked out the window to see four male ducks who had "trapped" a little female against the wall of the canal.  One male eventually won out and took matters into his own hands, er wings.

I thought he was trying to drown the poor little girl until I realized he was just using her for a one night stand.  But never fear.  That little lady was made of sterner stuff.

Once he was done and she was able to resurface (thank heavens she was good at holding her breath under water), she swam after him down the canal loudly and continuously giving that male a LARGE piece of her mind!

If I was a betting woman, my money is on the male being made to live up to his responsibilities and support his family.  After all, the little female was clearly NOT that kind of a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment