Thursday, September 21, 2017

The Pantry Principle: Rock Bottom Prices

When I was first married, decades ago, I bought a magazine that had an article about "The Pantry Principle".  It appealed to me and I have used it ever since.  I can't even begin to tell you how much it has saved me.

So what is the pantry principle?  Shop the sales to restock your pantry and then shop your pantry when making meals.  Create your menu every week from what you have on hand in your pantry, which includes your refrigerator and freezer, that you have filled with sale items.

 Try not to buy anything that isn't on sale.  The more you build up your pantry, the easier that will be.

Below are some suggestions for what to keep on your pantry shelves:

Dried or canned beans;  I keep mainly dried because they are cheaper but I do have some canned for when I need them fast
Cider vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Spices;  garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, cayenne, oregano, basil, sage, etc.  Stock what your family likes and you use.
Condiments:  mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, salsa, soy sauce
Peanut butter
Almonds
Rice
Baking powder and soda
Oatmeal
Lemon juice
Cocoa powder
Popcorn
Cornstarch
Flour
Dried salad dressing packets
Salt
Corn meal
Oil;  vegetable and olive
Vanilla
Yeast
Milk; powdered and evaporated
Sweeteners:  sugar, honey, molasses
Canned items:  Corn, green beans, tomato products, mandarin oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, creamed soup, tuna
Pasta
Spaghetti sauce
Dried fruit:  raisins, cranberries
Coffee and Tea

In my freezer:  hamburger, chicken, pork chops and roast, turkey, ham, white fish, vegetables, fruit, butter, eggs, orange juice, leftovers

In my refrigerator:  eggs, butter, bread, milk, condiments, seasonal fruits and vegetables, leftovers that will be lunch or turned into a makeover

Your pantry doesn't have to be identical to mine.  It all depends on what you cook and what your family will eat.  There is no right answer.  There is only money savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment