Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Date Bars: A Blast From My Past

Growing up, Betty Crocker made a date bar mix.  I liked them but my husband loved them.

Betty Crocker no longer sells the mix.  :(

But, there is a recipe on line from them that will help you duplicate the bars at home.

Filling:

1 pound of chopped dates
1/4 cup of sugar ( I usually leave this out as I find the dates are sweet enough on their own)
1 1/2 cups water

Cook over low heat, stirring, until the mixture is thick.  This takes about 10 minutes.  I do mine in the microwave to make sure that it doesn't stick.

Crust and topping:

1cup brown sugar.  I've used white and it work, too
1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup soft butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients well.

Press half the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan.

Spread the filling over the base.

Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top.
Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.

Cut into bars while still warm.  Makes about 36.
Will freeze if you don't want to eat them all at once.  Yeah, that will happen.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment