Friday, July 28, 2017

Refrigerator Organization to Prevent Waste

 Over the years I have developed an organisational plan for my refrigerator.  It helps me keep food waste to a minimum and that saves me money.

So here is what I do.  You may find a different system works for you.

On the day of my CSA delivery, or the day I am heading to the grocery store for produce, I clean out a crisper drawer, putting everything I have into one drawer.  The now empty drawer is for the newly purchased vegetables and fruits. That way I use the older items before the newer.  If I can't get it all into one drawer, I really don't need to restock, I need to use it up or freeze some of what I have before it goes bad.

One shelf is only for leftovers to be lunch or makeovers.  Otherwise they get lost and go bad.

On another shelf, it's the bottom shelf in my refrigerator, I keep a box for cheese so that it doesn't end up lost all over fridge because of the smaller packages.

One part of a shelf, the top shelf for me, is where the eggs and bread items go so I don't inadvertently squash the bread or run out of these important basics.  The rest of that shelf is for miscellaneous items like yogurt, cottage cheese, oj, and such  things as milk/half and half and cream.

The door is for condiments and the top shelf of the door is for butter, and other basics I need to be able to easily keep track of or access.

By keeping track of items like this I am more likely to make sure they are used before they turn into science experiments.  If you know where it is you can use it before it goes bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment