Tuesday, July 25, 2017

My CSA and Thrift

Community Supported Agriculture

I don't garden.  I've tried but I have less than ideal conditions ( small city lot and lots of shade, backyard patio that is the yard, all of it, and very limited front yard that faces north).

So I just buy from the farmer in the form of belonging to a CSA.

Mike and I bought a half share this year.  It runs from June to October.  If you've been reading my bimonthly grocery posts you know what we have been getting so far:  zucchini, onions, strawberries, potatoes, lettuce, rhubarb, kale, corn, beets, peas, cherries, cantaloupe, blueberries, raspberries, green peppers, green beans, broccoli, black raspberries .

Although not certified organic because of the cost of going through the process, I am comfortable with how these vegetables have been grown.  They taste fresh and wonderful.  We have been eating like kings.

And, I have had enough extra to freeze zucchini, strawberries, rhubarb, peas, blueberries, raspberries , green beans and corn so far.  They will taste wonderful later this year.

We pay about $15 a week for our half share.

So is it strictly frugal?  No.  I could find fruits and vegetables cheaper in the grocery store.   However, we would probably not have the variety and they wouldn't be anywhere near organic.  They also wouldn't be local.  And, they wouldn't be as fresh.  Also, I wouldn't be supporting a local farmer.

For the few extra dollars it is worth it to me.  Everyone has to make their own decision on this one.  We have enough wiggle room in our budget to make it work. You may not.  We didn't either for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment