Sunday, February 18, 2018

Cranberry Orange Muffins from Leftovers

I had about 3/4 cups whole berry cranberry sauce and about a tablespoon of orange juice concentrate languishing in the freezer.

Cranberry orange muffins for breakfast made sense.

I used the basic sweet muffin recipe found in my 40 plus year old Betty Crocker cookbook.  This one uses oil instead of butter which works because I am rationing my butter supply.

 I just didn't see the sales at Christmas on butter to allow my usual stock up for the year.  I only have about half of what I usually buy.  Therefore I need to make what I have go further.

Muffins

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt

I used self rising flour I got for 10 cents per pound before Christmas.
 The egg was from a dozen I spent 69 cents on. 
I used the moisture from the cranberry sauce and orange juice in place of most of the milk. 
I did need a little more liquid to get the batter at the right consistency, about 1/4 cup.  I used water and dry milk.

My grandmother's old muffin tin was used.  No mini or maxi muffins here.  Just twelve average ones that were baked at 400 degrees for about twenty minutes.

Result, three breakfasts for us that are quite tasty, if I do say so myself.  :)

And, only about 15 cents, or less, per person per breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment