Thursday, December 24, 2020

Frugal French Cassoulet (ish)

 Recently I decided to make my take on a French Cassoulet, or bean stew.

My inspiration was two grilled chicken legs.

Here is what I came up with.


1 cup dry white beans, covered with water and soaked overnight; canned beans don't absorb the flavor as well

6 slices of bacon fried crisp in a large and heavy pan with a tight lid, save the rendered grease

2 previously cooked chicken legs, meat removed from the bone; the original used duck but that is out of my price range

3 small pork sausage, browned and cut in half; use what you have or like , I had some good breakfast sausage and used them

1/2 onion, chopped

1 carrot, chopped

2 cloves garlic, diced

1/2 stalk celery, diced

Saute the above vegetables in the rendered bacon grease

Add in the drained, soaked beans and the meats

Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp thyme

Add chicken broth to cover; I used homemade but canned works

Stir well.  Cover with a tight fitting lid.  

Simmer for about three hours until the beans are done and the stew thickens.  Add more broth if it thickens too soon.  I had my pot sitting on a heat diffuser so it wouldn't stick.  You could also cook in the oven or in a slow cookr.  Adjust time as necessary.

When done, serve with a crusty bread and fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment