Tuesday, March 7, 2023

2023 Frugal Things in February

 1.  Frugal Soups Equal Frugal Make Overs.  I make a soup every week to two weeks because they are frugal.  Soup equals money saved on my food budget.  But eating all that soup ( I can't make a small batch.  I have tried.)  can get boring.  So, I turn soup into other meals.  Cuban black bean soup becomes black bean burgers and black beans and rice.  Chili becomes chili spaghetti Mexican lasagna, burritos, taco pizza and tacos (once drained), and the drained liquid is used to make Huevos Rancheros and shakshuka. Ham and bean soup turns into baked beans.  Vegetable soup turns into cottage pie.  Potato soup becomes scalloped potatoes.  Frugal meals all.

2.  Homemade soup almost as quickly as canned.  I use my pressure cooker (think instapot) to make my soups   It is very quick and I find the results more flavorful than other methods.  If I soak the dry beans overnight (super simple) I can make a bean based soup in about 20 minutes once it comes to a boil.  Non soaked beans can be cooled in about 30 minutes.  Non bean based soup can be made in 10-15 minutes.  And remember, you are making multiple serving in that time period. Easy and frugal.

3.  Inexpensive breakfasts.  Most of our breakfasts are grain based.  We eat oatmeal, pancakes, easy crepes, homemade cinnamon rolls, grits, toast, grilled PBJ, homemade scones, homemade muffins and, as a treat, bagels.  These breakfasts are cents/person, in general.

4. Inexpensive and easy basic homemade bread.  Bread has gotten very expensive.  I can make a loaf of bread quickly and with minimal effort for much less.  (And we like the taste over store made bread.)  I found this recipe decades ago in a publication called The Tightwad Gazette.  It is my go to.  3 cups flour, 1 Tbs yeast, 1 tsp salt ,1 Tbs sugar, 1/8 c oil, 1 cup water ( the hottest you can get from your tap).  Mix and knead with your mixer.  Let sit for20 minutes.  Form into a loaf.  Put into a cold oven, Set temp to 350 and bake for 45-60 minutes or until bottom is brown and there is a hollow sound when knocked.

5.  Frugal lunches.  Most of our lunches are leftovers from previous dinners.  Very frugal.  But if I don't have any, I bake potatoes, cook pasta and veg with garlic and butter, defrost a soup, make a grilled cheese, serve pbj, and other inexpensive dishes.  But, leftovers are great!

6.  Bought a gift card from Discover and saved 15%.  Only $7.50 but small amounts add up

7.  A plastic piece of my house food processor broke.  We replaced the part for $27rather than replacing the food processor for $199.  Savings of $172 !

No comments:

Post a Comment