Sunday, September 13, 2020

Some Other Savings Ideas

 1.  Hang at least some of your laundry to dry.  Years ago I calculated that each load I hung saved me about 50cents and was also better for the environment.  A small savings financially but green and easy.  I use plastic hangers to dry tops and a wooden clothes horse for jeans.  Another added benefit, clothes have been shown to last longer when not dried in the dryer.  Your dryer should even last longer.  Mine actually lasted 40 years!

2.  Purchase some clothing from the used market:  consignment shops, thrift stores, online.  I have found a lot o f outfits with tags still on them!  Again you are helping Mother Earth and your pocketbook.  For the past ten years all of my outer clothing has been used.  I now wear labels I couldn't afford before.

3.  When you are hungry for pizza, tacos, steaks, ribs and such try making them at home.  The savings can be considerable.

4.  If you are a soda drinker, try substituting iced tea.  Easy and inexpensive.  Healthier, too.

5.  Try baking bread, making cookies, baking cakes.  You will be amazed at the lower cost and the better taste.

6.  If you smoke, try cutting your daily consumption to help your health and your budget.

7.  Pack lunches for school and work.  If you are traveling, pack snacks and drinks.  Buying food out can really hurt your budget.

8.  Eat your leftovers for lunch or have a leftovers smorgasbord for dinner ocassionally.  

9.  Learn to make soup.  They are good, cheap and easy.

10.  Eat more vegetarian meals.  Substitute beans for meat in recipes.  Buy a good cookbook and experiment.  I suggest More With Less.  It is older but still good for cutting your budget.  I also have older editions of Betty Crocker and the Joy of Cooking that I use a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment