Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A sealing wax, cabbages and kings day




Groceries in October ran us 187.92 pounds sterling or about $300. I will call that a win since the cupboards and frig and freezer are well stocked now.  It will be interesting to see what November brings.  I sure won't be buying extra turkeys to put in the freezer like usual.  I couldn't get it into the freezer let alone into the oven. :)

  When facing a difficult situation, besides making a cup of tea, the expression is that it is time to put on your Big Girl Knickers.  And, it goes without saying, to knuckle down and get the job done, no excuses.  I love it!

I don't know how many of you shop at TJ Maxx but over here they are TK Maxx.  And no, I have no idea why.

I had to find a new formula for my homemade laundry detergent over here since borax is nowhere to be found.  I did some searching online and came up with a mixture of washing soda (washing crystals here), baking soda, Epsom salts and regular salt.  I tried it out during my laundry marathon and it did very well.  No complaints.

I did find it an adjustment to discover that to buy Epsom salts you have to ask the pharmacist.  And, it comes in small bottles of about a cup each.  Again, I don't know why.

Diesel here is 134.9 pence per liter or about 5.60 pounds sterling per gallon which works out to about $8.96 per gallon. WOW, our US prices don't look so bad now. :)  We are going to set a monthly budget for diesel and when that is spent we stop traveling until the next month.  And yes, fuel along the canal is higher than the car prices I quoted for you above.  Aren't we lucky. :)

Name brand vs Off brand:  To buy a two liters of Coke or Pepsi is about 1.79 pounds sterling or $2.87.  To buy the off brand (and the same brand is sold everywhere) is 17 pence or 27 cents!  Now that is one substantial difference.  And since I have tried the off brand I can tell you that the basic difference is the name on the bottle.



No comments:

Post a Comment